Chocobos can go rot in hell. (Another anecdote.)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I think it was Lago who said that people who derive pleasure from the original Final Fantasy are either masochistic or retarded with nostalgia.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Penance in FFX is harder than any half-assed monster from any previous FF

I'd also go as far as to say that the optional bosses in VII-IX are far harder than the standard bosses of 2D (including Omega in FFV)

Anyway..., FFI made the main game hard, and thats just stupid. People should be able to enjoy the game without spending 20 hours levelling up between plot points

Edit: Plot points? in FFI? Sounds like i'm talking out my arse again

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I don't know about you guys, but I can be Lv 101, equipped with Ultima Weapon, casting Quad-Meteor-Omnislash-Double-Cut-Mimed-W-Summon-Knights-Of-The-Round-Counterattack-Whatever and it does sweet fuck-all in any boss battle. Like, it barely makes a dent because they have a Jillion health points and attacks that do 9998 damage every turn, and it still takes like 20 minutes to kill them by which time you have no MP, Potions or patience. Maybe it's just me.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Playing the tactical game atrition is always my strategy. It helps you cover your own ass. You may have the most broken weapon ever but if you just go all out you will get OWNED.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

It's impossible to be tactical; battle strategy in FFVII never goes beyond "Cast most powerful magic and/or attack while healing anyone who gets hurt until battle ends". There are minor variations such as (gasp) using cold magic on firey creatures, but most of the strategy is in arranging magic on each character. Even then, it's usually a no-brainer. Bah, final fantasy.

tornadot

Hmmm...

Post by tornadot »

Kishi wrote:I think it was Lago who said that people who derive pleasure from the original Final Fantasy are either masochistic or retarded with nostalgia.
I'm probably both but I'm also one that obsessed over beating the Weapons without any of the powerful Materia just because...and I get a kick out of all those random battles and training, seriously...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Omni Hunter wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:W-Summon lets you use 2 summons in one turn.
Which makes KOTR even more broken.
That, and Quad Magic, MP Absorb, Mime, and MP Turbo...

My sister couldn't beat a part in Star Ocean 2 (She was getting owned in the Field Of Love), and I found out all of her characters were below Level 50. For those of you that don't know, that's a good chunk into the game, near the final boss. And her main fighters, Dias and Claude, were both below Level 30.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Kishi wrote:I think it was Lago who said that people who derive pleasure from the original Final Fantasy are either masochistic or retarded with nostalgia.
That would make me masochistic. I beat Astos (fairly early boss, really..) with no equipment.

Ya' know, it might just be me, but I could swear that FFVII was the last good Final Fantasy. Or maybe VIII, but I didn't like that one. I mean, 9 just sucked, and it has my favorite FF character, bar none. 10 was a joke, only to be toped by X2. And wtf is up with 11? Why toss out all the FF standards for quick cash? Oops, answered my own question. I'm still going to try 12, but my hopes are so very low...

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'm quite interested to see if Ultima Weapon monster will be present in the game. I know there's a summon called Ultima but that don't do it for me.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Ya' know, it might just be me, but I could swear that FFVII was the last good Final Fantasy. Or maybe VIII, but I didn't like that one. I mean, 9 just sucked, and it has my favorite FF character, bar none.

Man, I absolutely freakin' HATE FF8. I tried to like it, but damn, there's too many dislikes then likes for that damn game.

FF9 is my fave though. I always feel it's underrated even for an FF game. Especially Vivi. He shouldn't be underrated, he's awesome.
~Neo

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

He's a freakin Jawa.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I adore FF8, for some reason I can't fully articulate. It might just be hot pixel boys. I can't stand FF9, though. Vivi was the only character I liked. *shrug*

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I liked the hi tech style and brilliant summon designs of 8. The only thing that I didn't like bout 8 was it was too easy to reach lvl 100.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

The only thing I didn't like about 8 was how being level 100 meant nothing

And I wouldn't call FFXI a 'quick cash' project, considering work on XII (and almost every other Square game) was put on hold to complete it

If they weren't earning money every month from subscribers, it would've been the worst investment ever

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

He's a freakin Jawa.
QUIET YOU!
I liked the hi tech style and brilliant summon designs of 8. The only thing that I didn't like bout 8 was it was too easy to reach lvl 100.
One of the things I didn't like about FF8 was how the battle system works. It was too complicated for me. I certainly didn't think it was easy reaching that high. Even when I try to understand it and when I think I do, something always prevents me from acknowledging it 100%. Maybe I'm just a flippin' moron on FF8's battle system.
~Neo

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Omni Hunter wrote:He's a freakin Jawa.
Dude, I about wet myself when I read that!

My issue with 9 is that it's a collection of cool characters in one hell of some hack writer's fantasy. The story just blows! All the characters.... no, wait... all the characters EXCEPT FOR QUINA were really well done, and had great backstory. But, the actual story didn't go anywhere! It just draged on, and on, and on...

But, it was better than 8.
Squal: Lookit me, I'm a big cry baby who doesn't care about anything, and I too stupid to realize how important that chick is to me! Oh, well! I'm just a cheap Cloud knock-off with a totlly useless weapon anyway!

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

Biggest issue with FF8: Other than Rinoa and Squall (Fakest couple since Anakin and Padme in Episode 2), the screwy plot (I'm still working it out and I beat it like five or six months ago), and the bad battle system...

...has to be facing the final boss and having your magic blown away by that...Griever! Especially if that said magic is juctioned to your attack or HP...

And the game was too easy...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

...the plot wasn't really all that confusing.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

Watch the ending...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I have.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

I think the situation between Squall, Ultemecia and Edea is reason enough...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

What's confusing about it? Time was all fucked up, Squall saw Ultimecia give her power to Edea so she could die, therefore showing us how Edea got her power in the first place, then Squall went somewhere else.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

And then the cycle goes on and on...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

OK!

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

That's the problem (One of them anyway) with FF8...Squall stops Ultemecia, she gives her power to Edea before she dies, Edea eventually becomes...evil, Squall and other stop her, then go to stop Ultemecia again, Ultemecia gives her power to Edea...so in a way, it didn't help...

Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard...yeah that's about it...