Best Comedy of the Year

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the new King Kong and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The latter I thought was equal to the original, and a funny and well made film, though the backstory about Willy Wonka kind of seemed tacked on. I was pleasantly surprsed that the remake of Kong didn't suck, and even if it doesn't quite match the original in terms of quality, it was still enjoyable and well made, though it could have used to be a bit shorter. Still, it was nice to see a giant monster film on the big screen that didn't totally suck, unlike the only other one I saw on the big screen <glares at the 1998 American Godzilla movie>.

Of course, I still sick of the recent Hollywood trend of remaking old classic films or, even worse, remaking recent foreign films, particularly the Japanese horror films. I recent heard that they are getting ready to do a remake of the Takashi Miike's Chakushin Ari, better know as One Missed Call. I just saw the original film a few days ago, and it was pretty good (and quite disturbing), and I honestly don't see any way an American remake of this movie is going to be able to be anything other than utterly shameful. Honestly, are Americans so stupid that they can't appreciate something from another country? Sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

End Of Line.
Last edited by Ecco on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DackAttac

It's 3 AM, I must be lonely.

Post by DackAttac »

PBJClock wrote:When you think about it, it's creepy that these kids are being punished for being kids . . . but they were all portrayed as brats so it was ok.
I always thought that Wonka's moral to his actions was being a kid doesn't excuse you from being an asshole. It's not like they're toddlers or anything. Besides, didn't Charlie almost get expelled over the bubble room, but get excused because his heart was in the right place from square one?
Ecco wrote:Honestly, are American's so stupid that they can't appreciate something from another country? Sometimes I wonder.
It's not intolerance so much as the average American doesn't really do research on movies that aren't playing at the local MegaPlexâ„¢ unless they're bored with the mainstream. Studios realize the potential on which they can milk these people for money by putting a decent tale in front of their noses (keep in mind, they can use critical acclaim of the original version to their advantage), and that's why these remakes get greenlit.

It may be a little ignorant, but if they're content with the usual line-up at the cinema, I'm not going to insist they're uncultured or something. Hell, if they're happy, I don't care. I just know I'm happier whenever I find out something new than I would have been if I hadn't.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Re: It's 3 AM, I must be lonely.

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Ecco wrote:Honestly, are American's so stupid that they can't appreciate something from another country? Sometimes I wonder.
Well, you don't need that apostraphe in 'Americans' for starters. And I think that Americans have issues with swallowing the cultural differences between themselves and foreign countries, especially on something as 'universal' as a movie screen. Personally, I think that more Americans should be open minded and that the original movies don't need to be remade, but that's just me.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

People in other countries would be just as oblivious to foreign films if their own countries pumped out as many big budget mainstream pictures as the USA does.

PBJClock

Re: It's 3 AM, I must be lonely.

Post by PBJClock »

DackAttac wrote:
PBJClock wrote:When you think about it, it's creepy that these kids are being punished for being kids . . . but they were all portrayed as brats so it was ok.
I always thought that Wonka's moral to his actions was being a kid doesn't excuse you from being an asshole. It's not like they're toddlers or anything. Besides, didn't Charlie almost get expelled over the bubble room, but get excused because his heart was in the right place from square one?
Indeed,*Piramid finger thing* but i don't remember them as being clear cut brats in the original[and i liked the boat part(he he, they beheaded a chicken)] whch made the remake all the scarrier, and good point on the bubble room, why did they cut it?

to go back on topic AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO ABSOLUTLY HATES KING KONG(and lord of the rings)?!
P.S. MY SPOON IS TOO BIG

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

King Kong had moments. Batman Begins was leagues ahead of it, however; the best movie of 2005 in my estimation.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Neo Yi wrote:Seriously? That's awesome.
Seriously. Because I'm awesome.
DackAttac wrote:Besides, didn't Charlie almost get expelled over the bubble room, but get excused because his heart was in the right place from square one?
That was the all-singing, all-dancing 70's POS version only, though. That never happened in the book. As I said, the Burton version is book-perfect with the exception of the addition of Wonka's father.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You know, I can't even really remember the book. I should go back and reread it, seeing as it has been like 10 years or something.