Shelved games?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
aso

Shelved games?

Post by aso »

Have you ever played a game that you found so frustrating at some point that you finally gave up on it and shelved that sumbitch?

Illbleed is like that right now... it's been a while since I've played a game where the first freaking boss is so goddamned difficult...

Segata

Post by Segata »

I end up playing most of my games for a few hours or at most a week and then they usually sit on my shelf until I get really, really bored and finish them a year later. It's a sad cycle.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Got to the third island of Black And White, then I felt sick of it and put it away.

That was about two years ago.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

In times of yore, when I first got sonic 2, I could not for the life of me complete the second stage of chemical plant zone (I always dies on the bit with the rotating blocks when the liquid rises). I konw, for shame etc. I got past that bit about a year later.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Megaman Network Transmission. I can't even beat the first bloody boss.

Also, every once in awhile I take Viewtiful Joe off the shelf, get my ass kicked by level five, and then put it back up there.

I can think of some other "shelved" games, but they were usually shelved because of boredom, not difficulty.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Anyone remember the floating cylinder from Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3? Yeah, that took me a really long time to figure out. Gimme a break, I was 9.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

Me too. I hated that bit.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I never beat Revenge of Shinobi. Couldn't solve the maze at the end.
Sonic Shuffle, either.

J.C.14
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by J.C.14 »

Segaholic2 wrote:Anyone remember the floating cylinder from Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3? Yeah, that took me a really long time to figure out. Gimme a break, I was 9.
I have problems in Marble Garden, Those Damn arrow things keep hurting me. Sonic 3 is hard shit

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Dude, Illbleed... that's the most unplayable game ever made. Not even necessarily the worst, it's just literally impossible to play. Like... how do you play it? I don't know! I just walk into traps and it's kind of funny for a little while, but I mean... certainly there must be a game in it somewhere?

As for Viewtiful, I finally started over on easy mode figuring I'd whip through it in two sittings like I did with Devil May Cry, but I only got to level 5 or 6 (the stage after the one I got to last time) when I just plain got tired of playing. Every once in a while there's a game like this that I really love and respect but will never finish. Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea are like that.
Anyone remember the floating cylinder from Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3? Yeah, that took me a really long time to figure out. Gimme a break, I was 9.
I can top that: I was 13. Took me a whole day to figure it out, but otherwise I'd have beaten the game in one sitting.

For the longest time I couldn't get past the Labyrinth Zone boss in Sonic 1. The first time I saw Star Light and Scrap Brain I had used the level select.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

I dont see how ANYBODY can beat Viewtiful Joe in super hard mode. Its damn near impossible let alone on frickin easy. That doesnt make it any less hard though.

Dont laugh but for some reason I have the f***ing hardest time trying to get anywhere past Fireman.EXE on Megaman network Transmission for Gamecube. I mean I can get past him OK, but he constantly kicks my ass.

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

I guess this would be a bad time to say I've beaten Fireman and got stuck on Gutsman...

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Let's count...

- Pokemon Sapphire
- LoZ: LttP GBA version (Although I pwn3d that today after shelving it for about 8 months)
- SA2B (Because there's not much friggin' point)
- Discworld II
- Sonic Heroes (It's the popular thing to do)
- LoZ: OoT Master Quest
- MegaMan Battle Network

I could go on...

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

WhoopA wrote:I guess this would be a bad time to say I've beaten Fireman and got stuck on Gutsman...
**smites you**

The killing part is I usually have no trouble with Battle Network GBA games (though to this day I DESPISE Bubbleman.EXE, Drillman.EXE, and Beastman.EXE). Only two characters I've ever had trouble beating on the GBA versions were Bass and Alpha.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

Here just some advice for Fireman, just buy Bubblers at the shop, he goes down after four of them... Just get to one side and unload...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wind Waker. Seriously. It's not that it's hard, it's just that I got fucking fed up of spending 90% of my time getting from one location to another on that godamn boat.

aso

Post by aso »

Segata: I've done that with a few titles, but only if they (a) sucked or (b) were tougher than I had the patience for.
Example of A being Martian Gothic
Example of B being ... something, not sure yet

Owen: Black and White? Arrrgh. The game that would not work, at all, when I bought it at retail at release. I waited for a patch for a looooong time. By the time one came, I had traded the game in.

wyvern: I had a tough time with that as a kid, too.

Segaholic: Natch.

JC: Sonic 3 is the easiest game in the entire series, I swear.

GG: Okay, the deal is, you have to find something called the 'Horror Monitor'. You know you've found it when all of the 'senses' at the top of the screen begin jumping erratically.

In Level 1's case, you need to jump over the fence to your immediate right (after the initial, unavoidable trap), go to the very corner past the picnic tables, then turn and head straight past the picnic tables to a lone tree beyond a fence by the house.

You'll find the monitor there.

The deal with the monitor is, you hit the right shoulder button, and it zooms in on your immediate area. Now, while this alone seems useless, those senses of yours jump based on what Eriko (or whoever you're playing) perceives as supicious visually/aurally/ and odorally (you know what I mean). When your senses begin to seriously spike, activate the monitor and check around. It will automatically zoom in on possible trapped spots. Press 'A' to place a sort of orb that disengages the trap, if there is one. (Sort of like Minesweeper.)

The 'Sixth Sense' lets you know locations of items. These can be common recovery items, story items, upgrade items, the works.

Now, this whole monitor thing is powered on 'adrenaline'. Activating the monitor costs 10 adrenaline, placing an orb costs 40. However, deactivating traps and killing random monsters you run across will give you more adrenaline.

That said, I think it's a neat concept, but there have been a few serious blunders so far, namely the Clock Tower-rip off chase from Ballobows (the villain of the stage) which is nowhere near as good, and the final boss fight against him, which is fucking maddening.

Edit: Okay, I managed to 'defeat' the boss by using 'dodge'. How the hell was I to know that dodging would help me avoid his huge fucking hands?
Last edited by aso on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Games I've never finished:
Super Mario Land (GB): For years I couldn't get past the water levels, then a few years later I did, then after that I just couldn't beat the final boss.
Speedy Gonzales (GB): Quit at the forest level.
Tiny Toons: Montana's Movie Madness (GB): The <b>2nd</b> level was too hard. (The samurai level)
Fly Swatting Game in Mario Paint (SNES): Is it <i>possible</i> to beat that? If so, what happens?
Donkey Kong 64 (N64): Was addictive at first, just got too long and boring after a while.

I almost quit Yoshi's Island (SNES) because of the third world boss, that huge piranha plant, eventually I figured it out though.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I had the same issue with Sonic 2 that someone else mentioned. I was like 6 or 7 at the time though. Oh and Pikmin. I dunno why, but there is just something about that game that pisses me off. Also I haven't beaten Metroid Prime, but I plan on doing that eventually.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yoshi's Island was freaking hard at some points... Especially trying to get 100s on every level. But definitely an incredibly awesome game.

Neon Chaos

Post by Neon Chaos »

I had did put away the first Buffy game and then on day months later, I picked it up and beat it. I also shelved Shenmue 2 after playing it for the first few hours. It was just really boring and I ended up trading it in.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I also shelved Shenmue 2 after playing it for the first few hours. It was just really boring and I ended up trading it in.
*unzips his pants and pulls out his nuts* Put 'em in your mouth and SUCK ON 'EM, bitch!

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Light Speed wrote:I had the same issue with Sonic 2 that someone else mentioned. I was like 6 or 7 at the time though. Oh and Pikmin. I dunno why, but there is just something about that game that pisses me off. Also I haven't beaten Metroid Prime, but I plan on doing that eventually.
Although I did finish Pikmin, to this day I have not beaten Sonic 2 without cheating.

And Metroid Prime is currently shelved because of the damn Omega Pirate boss. I had to stop playing because I was afraid I'd break my conrtoller.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What's Neon talking about? Disc 4 only took me about an hour to beat, which means he is talking about Disc 3. The last couple of hours of Disc 3 were some of the best gaming I ever had. You shouldn't just be sucking Gibbon, you should be sucking everyone here!

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

I hardly ever shelved games because they're too hard. I usually do it because I buy a new game and start playing that one instead. I'm currently playing about, 5 games. I guess you can say that I've shelved F-Zero GX, Disgaea, Ratchet and Clank, Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, Splinter Cell, Jak and Daxter, GTA 3, and Viewtiful Joe. I'll finish them, hopefully this summer. In Viewtiful Joe I'm at the part where they make you fight all the bosses again in a row. Tis hard. And I'm almost to the point of not playing Zelda Four Swords Adventure anymore, I haven't been able to find 3 people to play with that don't act like assholes and quit.