Garfield will return after these messages!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
el alex

Garfield will return after these messages!

Post by el alex »

That little guy quite possibly may be the most obscure thing I remember from the late '80s/early '90s. I remember the Garfield bumpers with this character, and seeing him in other random places such as birthday cards and stationary. He even appeared in the intro of Charles in Charge in a poster above Charles' bed, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember the character, but I haven't seen him since the early '90s, and I had no clue what his name was. For some reason, I remember my sister telling me his name was "Silly Willy", and that's what I've known him as for what, fifteen years?

I just happened to do a Yahoo search for the 7up Spot this morning (please don't ask me why) and it seems they are bringing or have brought this character back in 7up ads.

I first came across this image...

... and the words "Garfield will return after these messages!" instantly spilled out of my penis. It all came back to me. I translated the page that image was on and found out his name, "Fido Dido", which I then searched for on Wikipedia, and I found a wonderfully juicy link:

http://www.platypuscomix.net/onlyme/garfpage.html#bears

You can download the Garfield bumpers with old Fido on that page.

I finally feel my life is complete. I feel I have been reunited with an old friend. I remember trying to find out about him on the internet as far back as 1997, doing searches for the false name "Silly Willy", yet finding nothing.

He apparently was even going to have his own Genesis game, which was cancelled for whatever reason.

Anybody that remembers this character gets a blowjob.

Now, my new life's mission. I have my sister's old sticker book, and I've scanned an image of a particular character I just barely remember:

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME THE NAME OF THIS BABY? It's been bugging me for years. For some reason, I've always had it in my mind that his name was Messy Marvin, and later on I found out about Hershey's Messy Marvin commercials with Ralphie. Was this based on the commercials or a coincidental thing? And didn't that character have an animated series and comic strip? Maybe I'm just a delusional fuck.

i need a woman

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

The baby's name is Marvin.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The Fido Dido thing has actually been bugging me for years. Thank you wikipedia.

I haven't seen a Marvin strip in years, I thought he'd been dropped (he's at least been dropped by the local papers). Apparently he's been redesigned to look less like a human version of Garfield.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

That was the best post ever until you got Marvin involved.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Wow.

Just. Wow.

el alex

Post by el alex »

SuperKnux wrote:Wow.

Just. Wow.
I haven't slept in eight days.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Wasn't Pepper Ann a spin-off character from the Fido Dido franchise?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Wow. Fido Dido. YOUR NAME WILL LIVE ON FOREVER IN MY HEART

el alex

Post by el alex »

Ngangbius wrote:Wasn't Pepper Ann a spin-off character from the Fido Dido franchise?
Oh my God, it's all starting to make sense.

*wipes powder from nose*

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Ngangbius wrote:Wasn't Pepper Ann a spin-off character from the Fido Dido franchise?
Cursory Googling reveals: Fido Dido comes to us from Joanna Ferrone, and Pepper Ann comes from Sue Rose. They both worked on Angela Anaconda.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Which was shit.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Indeed, but (as I recall) Pepper Ann was surprisingly decent.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Pepper Ann was a female Doug with lamer stereotyped characters. It was better than the Disney Doug shit on ABC, though.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Like I said, decent. It was far from great, but it didn't outright suck. Kinda like all of the Disney "1 Saturday Morning" toons. Well... ABC Doug actually did suck, but that's mostly because the previous show already had closure.

As for the topic, yes I remember Fido Dido, but I didn't know he had a name. Having him in the 7up ads might be coo- OH SHIT THE BURGER KING KIDS! LITTLE CAESAR'S! SEA MONKEYS! NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD

Kid Vid was pretty awesome.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I remember those Burger King kids! But what were their names? Wasn't one something to do with a camera or something?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So long as we're on a nostalgia trip, anyone remember this guy?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I remember those Burger King kids! But what were their names? Wasn't one something to do with a camera or something?
Jaws was the token black kid who liked to eat. Boomer was a red-headed tomboy. Wheels was a parapalegic. JD was a dog. I.Q, a nerd. Snap, a female pretty white photography buff. Lingo, a hispanic artist. Kid Vid - some sort of cybernetic caucasian blonde boy who was the leader, and Jazz - an asian female rollerblader who was added at the very last second to make sure every minority was covered except Muslim - as long as you count IQ as Jewish and Boomer as a lesbian.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Pepper Ann was much better than either incarnation of Doug.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I would call you a herege (it's fun to speak in your natural language), but the fact is that I have no idea who Pepper Ann is.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I think I remember being confused finding out Pepper Ann's sibling, Moose was actually a girl.

Dash

Post by Dash »

@ Esrerver: I've only seen like 3-4 episodes of Pepper Ann so I cannot support or deny your claim. The last one I saw was the one where you found out the gender of her sibling though. That one was pretty good.

I do remember liking Marsupalami, though for the life of me I can't remember why. Perhaps it was the "OMGWTF" factor.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

What the heck he was, anyway? I don't think he was a lemur.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Dash wrote:I do remember liking Marsupalami, though for the life of me I can't remember why. Perhaps it was the "OMGWTF" factor.
Same. I recall catching a rerun of Raw Toonage on Toon Disney a couple of years ago at about 3:00 AM (Only managed to catch the show once). Among the cartoons shown were Marsupilami and, much to my surprise, George of the Jungle. Much nostalgia was had, though Marsupilami didn't seem nearly as interesting as I had remembered, however vaguely.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Didn't that dude, Marsupilami have some sort of connections to Bonkers? I can't remember, I read it somewhere, but it could have been a mislead.
~neo

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

They both starred in crap cartoons!