"real" Simpsons Movie Trailer

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

"real" Simpsons Movie Trailer

Post by cjmcray »

Last night, the "real" Simpsons movie trailer was released, showing 2 minutes of actual footage from the film.

Prior trailers were just teasers with hardly any footage of the actual film whatsoever.

Trailer here

The animation looks nice, but sadly, the film looks unfunny. Really unfunny. Sigh.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Actually looks pretty nice and epic, just as we should expect. I think that, fortunately, they didn't focus the trailer on the funny parts, as most comedy movies do, which sucks because we end up going to the movie knowing exactely when Jim Carrey will do that funny face or whatever.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I was looking forward to this, and I'll see it at some point, but this new trailer dampened my hopes a bit. The trailer seemed like a grab bag of things they've already done on the show - Burns blocking out the light source, Bart becoming a Flanders, making jokes about Springfield's location...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, it looks like a "best of compilation" rather than anything original.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I'm not gonna say anything on the little plots they actually showed us (one which I didn't all that impressed on--other then those dozens of missile launches, what the deal is THAT about?), but I am impressed by how friggin' sharp and clean the animation is.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Yes. The animation stood out to me as well. I suppose it reflects a larger budget.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Considering the budget it does have, it's kind of criminal that the TV show is as badly animated as it is. It's the most expensive television cartoon in production today by a wide, wide margin, but it sure doesn't look it.

The movie looks pretty good, though. There's a clip near the end of that trailer where Marge actually does a small motion blur "stretch" when she turns around, ala "Dover Boys"... it's crazy to see that kind of animation being done with such rudimentary characters, but I think it works.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Esrever wrote:Considering the budget it does have, it's kind of criminal that the TV show is as badly animated as it is. It's the most expensive television cartoon in production today by a wide, wide margin, but it sure doesn't look it.
I think most of the budget goes to the overpaid producers, seriously overpaid writers, and overpaid (with some exceptions) voice actors.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

It appears Homer finally is able to jump over the gorge successfully. (The scene with him and Bart on the motorcycle is occurring on the gorge. You can see the crashed ambulance from Season 2 in the BG. lawl.)

I'm glad to see Itchy & Scratchy making an appearance. They should have a short Itchy & Scratchy cartoon before the movie starts. It'd be awesome.

I'm pretty sure Burns doesnt block out the light. There was a rumor a year back about the Government putting a dome over Springfield due to something Homer does. (Which fits, since there's a scene of Government types crashing in through some windows on cables in the trailer.) Something to due with his new pet pig.

And lastly, there's There seems to be a subplot of the Church getting vandalized. (Reverend Lovejoy is showing Marge tapes of the Church, then in the scene where Bart walks to Falnders in Church, the windows are busted. Maybe some bullies convince Bart to vandalize the Church, Bart feels guilty, and somewhere along the line, becomes a Flanders.)

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Does anyone remember that pig which Nixon liked from back in the 5th season or so? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Light Of Illusion

Post by Light Of Illusion »

Zeta wrote:Yeah, it looks like a "best of compilation" rather than anything original.
It does seem that way. Of course, would it be better for them to strike out and do something completely different? More often than not, it would seem, movies of animated TV shows that have little to know consistant plot suck. Maybe the creators of the Simpsons are trying to make this movie not suck by sticking to what they know.

I found the animation was kind of odd, actually. It kept looking almost 3D, but not quite. It kind of made me dizzy.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Light Of Illusion wrote:Maybe the creators of the Simpsons are trying to make this movie not suck by sticking to what they know.
General consensus is that what they know already sucks. Not that I agree, but I'm just very easily amused.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I saw the movie today. You know what, it ain't half bad.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

I thought it was crap. I was able to see it Tuesday with some movie critics. I've posted this at other sites, so I'll just copy and paste:

I'll get it out first: This is the plot for you who don't care:

- Homer befriends pig after finding him at a Krusty Burger, then being there after the skateboard scene.
- Homer fills 'Pig crap' silo, dumps it in river, making Springfield so polluted that the Goverment steps in.
- Brooks' character is some power hungry millionaire in charge of keeping America clean, who gets President Schwarzenegger [It's not Wolfcastle in a skit, it's meant to be Arnold] to contain Springfield in a bubble.
- Town finds out Homer is responsible, go to kill him, they escape from town via a hole in the ground.
- Flee to Alaska.
- Find that since the Bubble wasn't working, plan to just Nuke the town instead. Homer wants to stay, Marge leaves to save the town.
- Homer gets his senses and goes after them.
- Homer saves town by using a Motorcycle to drive around the inside of the dome and throw the bomb out an opening at the very top.

Now my thoughts:

Now I'm one of those guys who hasn't liked a hell of a lot of the show since Season 9-10, like a lot of people here. To sum it up in one word, this movie was just boring. There is a point in the movie where The Fox news ticker pops up at the bottom out of nowhere, and despite getting a laugh from me, it felt like it was thrown in there purely because the rest of the scene was sleep worthy.

The Skateboard scene was pretty cool.. but it lasts about a minute.. Actually shows Barts dick for a second in a well done 'hiding' scene which was pretty crazy for them to do and I applaud them for taking it that one step further. But at the same time, The opening Itchy & Scratchy sketch had no blood whatsoever, which was pretty conservative, why do one and not the other?

The animation was all over the place too, some places it looks very nice and clean, and some times you get some low quality animation, and even some points where the mouth flaps differ to what's being said [Happens in the normal show since they're changing jokes close to release, if they're doing that in a big film version, somethings not going well :|]

In the middle of the film A bunch of animals jump into their Alaskan cabin and do a Cinderella / Snow White routine, and they're all animated in a different style. It's animated well, but is just really out of place.

Brooks' character attempted to pull off some Hank Scorpio moments, but fell flat. The two Schwarzenegger momenents wern't to hot either. As a fan it's one of those moments where you really can't laugh at it. "Oh, it looks like McBain because he was a ripoff of Schwarzenegger.. but why is Arnold President? Ah well, whatever."

The Bart/Flanders plot wasn't funny at all and doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't even make sense. Lisa's entire story is that She finds some Irish kid who essentially is a young Bono-like character who she swoons for. You see it at the start, and is only mentioned because he's the reason Lisa wants to go back to Springfield. We've seen this kind of character pop up several times in the show. Pig is never mentioned again after half way through the film

Marge is very boring in the movie. The movie actually takes a incredibly weird turn for a second where She leaves a video for Homer telling him she's left to go back to Springfield. It sounds incredibly serious and it's just a weird moment.

Again, it was just.. boring. Nothing laugh out loud funny in the whole film. I don't even think it would get many laughs in a full cinema.

1.5/4 stars

:\

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

'1.5/4 stars' is one of the strangest ratings I've ever seen for anything. Either way, I disagree. The movie's deeply imperfect-- you're very right about a few points, like Arnold's inexplicable appearance and the variable quality of the animation-- but the whole thing's so vastly superior to anything the show's coughed up in the last decade I found it impossible not to enjoy.

The plot is flimsy, and largely reconstituted from old episode plotlines, but it's elaborate and climatic enough to justify the running time. And although some gags fall flat, there are some tremendously good ones-- the audience I saw it with was in hysterics, Rlan, so I think your hypothesis wasn't quite there. Most significantly of all, I think, is that the movie has a good deal of the Simpsons' long-absent charm and 'soul' back. I even enjoyed Lisa's romance plotline-- I loved that 'sweaty hands' line; gentle, funny, sweet.

Why. Do. Birds, suddenly appear...

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

jenkins wrote:Does anyone remember that pig which Nixon liked from back in the 5th season or so? Perhaps that has something to do with it.
when Homer went to college and was trying to prank the dean and pretty much everyone he saw? That was a funny episode.

If I don't like the movie I think I'm going to give up watching new simpsons episodes all together. I can watch the old episodes of Simpsons happily for the rest of my life.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The plot of this movie is that Homer gets a pet pig that shits so much that the president decides to nuke Springfield?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. No wonder they didn't release this until recently . . .

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Majestic Joey wrote:If I don't like the movie I think I'm going to give up watching new simpsons episodes all together.
People still watch those?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

In the same way one watches a screensaver or a fish tank.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I saw it yesterday. I thought it was really good. It's not exactly outstanding but it is really funny and entertaining. It's still not classic Simpsons standard but it's a lot better than the more recent seasons of the show.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Locit wrote:
Majestic Joey wrote:If I don't like the movie I think I'm going to give up watching new simpsons episodes all together.
People still watch those?
I must say, Season 18 of the Simpsons was pretty decent actually. Sure, it's not as great as the earlier seasons, but it's better than the shitorama that was seasons 15-16.

Although the series has really devolved into "what can we do to allow us to make a load of good jokes?".

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Zeta wrote:The plot of this movie is that Homer gets a pet pig that shits so much that the president decides to nuke Springfield?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. No wonder they didn't release this until recently . . .
Uh, it's not quite as simple as that. Homer dumps all the waste from the pig into the lake, which is the nail in the coffin for the city's pollution levels, and the government ends up quarantining Springfield; when that doesn't work, then they decide to nuke it. The government guy who's engineering all this stuff is the villain of the piece, natch. It's still goofy cartoon plot logic the whole way through, but one thing leads to another in what I'd say is at least a vaguely satisfying way.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Wait, so Hank Scorpio isn't actually in this?

BOOOOOOO.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, 'kay, if there's a working link to the trailer in this topic, then I totally don't see it (OP's gives me a 404). Anyone care to spot me? I was actually considering seeing this and all, so.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Youtube, dude. There's no excuse.