Le secret project

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Le secret project

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Hyper forms also allow a character to stay underwater without drowning, unlike the Super forms. Other than that, very thorough.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Excellent work on the Sonicpedia, GG!

Hari Hari recently posted a translation of the Tails character profile from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
It contains a few new items of interest:

MILES "TAILS" PROWER
Real Name / MILES PROWER
Sex / Male
Age / 8
Nickname / TAILS , It is two tails in Japanese.

He was tormented for two tails in childhood, and he was timid. However, after he comes across Sonic, his character became positive brightly, because he wanted to become like Sonic and made an effort.
Sonic does not seem to mind Miles, but actually, Sonic pays attention to him.

* He longs for Sonic.
* His head is full of the desire to want to become like Sonic.
* He loves Christmas and Mint Candy.
* Goggle-eyed.
* He loves the machine twiddle and does various invention.
* He is good at the driving of a car and the operation of the airplane.
* Favorite car is Lotus Spark.
* He always runs after the back of Sonic.
* Two tails which were tormented by everybody when he was childhood. But two tails became "certificate of spirit" for him by Sonic.

If it's not the third one then the middle must be yours; I wasn't concerned with who did it when I copied it. A Google search reveals that the last one is by SamIAm and is Big Smile's translation of choice. I trust your reading more though. Thanks!
I didn't know that G.Silv did a translation of the original Sonic. Could you post a copy, please? ^_^

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

big_smile wrote:* He longs for Sonic.
Gay.
big_smile wrote:* His head is full of the desire to want to become like Sonic.
Gay.
big_smile wrote:* He always runs after the back of Sonic.
Gay.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

big_smile wrote:He loves the machine twiddle
Damnit, I wish I'd seen this before I put up the poll.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I didn't know that G.Silv did a translation of the original Sonic. Could you post a copy, please? ^_^
I don't seem to have a copy of it myself anymore, it's gone on some vanished hard drive. I'd be curious to see it though, looking at the original again I'm interpretting the tone of it a bit differently than I remember.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

big_smile wrote:I didn't know that G.Silv did a translation of the original Sonic. Could you post a copy, please? ^_^
I forgot all about Hari Hari. If he did one it could be his. Here it is anyway:

The malevolent yet gifted scientist, Dr. Eggman, prepares his evil intentions once again:

"Sonic... This impertinent, this contrary hedgehog," said Eggman, "he's always there to bring annihilation to my grand schemes! But this time, I WILL crush him using my extreme intellect! HA HA HA HA HA!"

South Island is home to many treasures, jewels and ancient ruins. But most notable of these are the "Chaos Emeralds", which rest somewhere deep within the island. These stones supply all life with amazing power. On the other hand, this power can also be used to create nuclear weapons, and deadly laser radii, should they fall in the hands of those that don't understand their power.

Since South Island is constantly drifting throughout the ocean, it has formed an interdimensional torsion in which the Chaos Emeralds wander endlessly.

One day, something horrible arrived on the island. Dr. Eggman and his army had come!

"Ha ha! Even though it is necessary to search and transport every particle of this island, I will have the Chaos Emeralds!!".
He then undertook the development of an enormous fortress in an angle of the island.

"Eggman? Oh no, not again!!!" said Sonic. Having heard rumors circulating from South Island, Sonic quickly ran there to investigate. Dr. Eggman views Sonic as his deadly enemy, but Sonic on the other hand does not really see much threat in his adversary. However, when Sonic arrived on South Island, a strange spectacle was held before him.

"Look Sonic," said Eggman, "this time the situation is totally different! ALL the animals of South Island have been transformed into robots!"

"E... everybody?!"

"Your friends are henceforth under my control. The entire island has now become your enemy! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha... This time, the whole world will be mine!"

Things are difficult, but you must go for it! As Sonic the Hedgehog, everybody awaits your help...

Neo

Post by Neo »

* Goggle-eyed.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Is that really mine? I used "henceforth?" "Laser radii?!" I don't think that's me, and if it is, I am making a new one, I don't want to be associated with this. xD

Incidentally Big Smile, this http://sonicjam.wikidot.com/sisghzs:md-sonic2-comic1 is definitely not in the Japanese Sonic 2 manual, unless it's the Game Gear version or something? Aside from not being in Sonic Jam, the page dimensions aren't even right!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I might be wrong, but I think the one posted by Frieza is by Pepperidge. If I remember correctly, it isn't an actual translation. Instead, Pep took Mary (Solly) Yamasaki's original translation and improved the grammar. I think it was posted on Sonic HQ South Island forum, but the original posting has been removed, so it isn’t possible to check.

This makes it the third version of Solly’s translation (as Solly had an alterative version of her original translation).

The only other translation is by SamIam , so (excluding alternative versions) that should mean that there are only two translations of the story.
Incidentally Big Smile, this http://sonicjam.wikidot.com/sisghzs:md-sonic2-comic1 is definitely not in the Japanese Sonic 2 manual
Ooops! Well spotted, it’s a typo on my part. I think it’s actually from the Japanese strategy guide.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Goddamn, I haven't been here in a good while, but it's nice to see a handy-dandy Sonic-pedia with all the info I want to read without the spelling/grammar errors of a thirteen-year-old fangirl's entry for Shadow.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Neo Yi wrote:Goddamn, I haven't been here in a good while, but it's nice to see a handy-dandy Sonic-pedia with all the info I want to read without the spelling/grammar errors of a thirteen-year-old fangirl's entry for Shadow.
"Shadow is a blak hedghog who uses guns n he is soooooooooooo hottttttt!!1!1! I <3 Shadow omg!1!!!!111 all my teechrz sed i cant b shadows gf cuz hes not real n im 2 fat 2 hav sex wich is NOT TRU BTW IM NOT FAT AT ALLLLL, 328 pnds is NOT 2 FAT 4 my age n also silvers awesum n i dont care wut u say, hes hot 2,"

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

...n i flunkd english fr riting abowt having a menajay a twat with shadow and silver but i dunt care becuz their so hawt & awesome, and shuld b playable n the next game [citation needed]

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

big_smile wrote:I might be wrong, but I think the one posted by Frieza is by Pepperidge. If I remember correctly, it isn't an actual translation. Instead, Pep took Mary (Solly) Yamasaki's original translation and improved the grammar.
It's almost identical to Mary's, so that's probably it.

Does anyone know of a transcript of the NPC dialogue from SA1? If nobody's made one I might do it eventually.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

If you poked around on Sonic Cult's forums and asked really nicely, you'd probably come across someone willing to just extract the text files from the game for you. I'm pretty sure I've seen them do something similar in the past.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Well, Sonic 06 was different, since we got the actual script in an Excel document leaked from a tester.

I've seen NPC dialogue during my poking around in SADX PC, but I won't be able to get the disk until next week. I can't guarantee there's the entire thing in there, or organized in any sensible fashion, but I know it's organized by character and Adventure Field, so that ought to be something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Well. Guess i'll do some fact-checking now, since i'm finally bored enough.
Heat Barriers absorb 1 hit and inflict damage on the offending enemy.
To be more precise, they inflict very slight damage (half a hit's worth according to the life gauges) on anything that you wander close to. I think Shadow's piddly PPK combo inflicts the same amount :p

On Chaos Cola's page, you forgot that supposed cherry flavor that started being advertised in SA2:B.
Originally known simply as the "Emeralds", the jewels became known in lore as the "Chaos Emeralds" for their role in the fall of the Knuckles tribe.
As in the manual backstories? Odd, the games themselves were calling them "Chaos Emeralds" from the get-go.

But this page is mostly the one I came to straighten up:
  • Aero Egg: Eggman drops bombs relentlessly in pinch mode.
  • Egg Albatross: The propeller's invincible, you have to attack the sides to trash the blimp. You can also destroy those mace ball cannons on the sides if you feel like wasting the effort. The Hawk only has 15 HP - enough to die in one Team Blast. (but it's better/faster to lure it in close and use dunk attacks from the power characters)
  • Egg Bomber Tank: I'd argue it's harder to avoid the bombs when the cannon is gotten rid of, due to the terrain and how much faster he shoots, but whatever.
  • Egg Dealer: Shadow Fever just fills the dark gauge. The Ring and Shadow Fevers can only be set up by you, and Pawn Fever only by Eggman.
  • Egg Eagle: The peck attack is also a chance to hit him.
  • Egg Emperor: His shield has about 60-70 HP and if you try to, you can disable it. The body has 150 HP.
  • Egg-Go-Round: Is the cruel sequel to Secret Plant's boss in Pocket Adventure.
  • Egg Hammer Tank 2: You left out how the arm is only there to haul away Cream with.
  • Egg Hawk: Body has 100 HP. If you happen to KO the rotors on the wings, you'll temporarily stall him.
  • Egg King: If he uses the laser attack, and you dodge the entirety of it, this prompts him to move into his "vulnerable" phase. At the climax, sorry to say it, but by the time you get back from the potty, you'll be dead, fool. He eventually crashes through the ship and kills you.
  • Egg Salamander: IIRC, phases 1 and 2 are three hits, 3 and 4 are two hits, and 5 is four or five hits. Pinch mode kicks in at phase 4. You left out the trips through the asteroid fields, or was that on purpose?
  • Egg Saucer: If the gun is still intact in pinch mode, then it starts firing faster.
  • Egg Scarab: Eventually it will start jumping over the iron ball as it rolls toward him.
  • Egg Snake: Maybe I don't remember this fight that well, but I coulda sworn he starts the dash attack at 6 hits and the orbs never speed up.
  • Egg Spider: Amy's jump is good enough that she can attack from below with the hammer without needing the stalactites.
  • Egg Walker: He always drops a fuckload of bombs in his wake when he jumps to the other end of the street.
  • Egg X: The laser can be dodged by ducking.
  • Jet Mobile: The flaming engine exhaust is a bad idea to be touching without a fire shield.
  • Screw Mobile: As Sonic with a water shield, you can almost always use the bounce attack to get to him.
  • Egg Ball no.2: With one hit to go, he says nuts to gravity and rolls around the room nonstop at high speed.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

FlashTHD wrote:
Originally known simply as the "Emeralds", the jewels became known in lore as the "Chaos Emeralds" for their role in the fall of the Knuckles tribe.
As in the manual backstories? Odd, the games themselves were calling them "Chaos Emeralds" from the get-go.

It's from the SA1 strategy guide.
Chaos Emerald Tradition [Part 1] wrote:At this, Tikal prayed for her consciousness to be sealed with Chaos' in the Master Emerald. After that, the location of the seven emeralds was unknown, and have since been called the Chaos Emeralds.
While we're at this, somebody please translate the epilogue.

信頼と思いやりに満ちた
スーパーソニックのパワーが
カオスの破壊行動を打ち消し
カオスの心は癒され
ティカルとともに去っていった

ソニックもまた
新たな冒険を探して
旅立っていくのだった

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

It's nothing fancy. Something like:

With pure thoughts and trust,
Super Sonic's power put an end to
Chaos' rampaging and with
his heart healed,
Chaos and Tikal both withdraw.

Sonic sets off once again
in search of a new adventure.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Somebody buy this man a beer.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Frieza, I got those .bin files that contain the NPC text from SADX (which should be identical to SA1). The game organizes them by field, language, and character (interestingly, Tails gets M for "Miles"), though there may be some overlap for characters that only appear for certain characters but need dummy text in each file (i.e., a person in Amy's file says "I wish I had a light like yours.", which I think is from E-102's story). Suffice to say, they're not that easy to navigate, but do you still want them?

It's funny; even in the PC version of SADX, there's remnants of SA2's Chao system within those data files. The list of Black Market items still includes the Omochao, Amy, and Maria themes.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

That's great, actually. Organizing them by field and character is probably what I would've done anyway. Go ahead and post it as an attachment.

K2J

Post by K2J »

OK, here you go. You can use Notepad to just view most of it (as it's in ASCII), but keep in mind that character 255 (ÿ) will appear all over the place and everything will be disjointed.

This is just the NPC stuff; there's also Chao and some leftover memory card warnings in there. I don't think there's actual cutscene subtitles, though.
Attachments
SADX NPC.zip
(97.98 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Any chance of getting the original Japanese text?

K2J

Post by K2J »

Word 2007 seems to be able to open the Japanese files (albeit with a lot of formatting issues), so yeah, I don't think these are encrypted. None of the other languages are.

For this one, I threw in everything that had a _J extention.
SADX Japanese Text.zip
(105.63 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Sweet, thanks. Tsui will now give you a hand job.