Sonic the Hedgehog preview article

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Viewtiful Joe, lol.

The first one, damn it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Sorry. I'm not nearly as clever as I used to be, you know.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

ABE RAPE ABE RAPE

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Sorry. I'm not nearly as clever as I used to be, you know.
It's all that schoolin'. Dumbs you down.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Senbei wrote:I haven't played much of it, but I'd like to point out Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, a 2D console game that got good reviews and seems to have held the attention of all gamers.
Four Swords had a pretty freaking huge gimmick attached to it though. The whole four players with GBA thing for those of you who are retarded.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

You think that a modern Sonic game wouldn't have a gimmick?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

PLAY AS GOOD OR EVIL IT IS YOUR CHOICE

PLAY AS DIFFERENT TEAMS THAT CAN BE GOOD OR EVIL

PLAY ON A HOVERBOARD THING

GRIND

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Is grinding any more a gimmick then loop-de-loops and corkscrews. It just seems to me to be a new avenue to convey Sonic's speed.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The hoverboard thing isn't a gimmick. That would be like saying the Kart's in Mario Kart are a gimmick.

Besides I was just pointing out that Four Swords doesn't count. Viewtiful Joe does though. Don't question it, just accept it.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is actually probably the closest thing to a console 3d sidescrolling Sonic game that exists, a number of the level obstacles/objects are quite Sonic-like, there's other similarities as well but I can't be bothered pointing them out. Of course, it's also controlled with bongos, which is obviously quite the difference.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I've played Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and while it's somewhat amusing, it's still yet another gimmick Nintendo game.

However, despite the microphone gimmick, I do want to play Chibi Robo.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, what's up with Chibi Robo? I remember seeing the website awhile back and thinking it looked kind of neat. It uses a microphone?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Gamers take control of the Chibi Robo, a pint-sized machine designed specifically to take care of a family's house. The robot needs to keep the house "happy." To do that, Chibi must walk around the home and clean it up, interact with other machines and people, and even -- according to the storyline - stop a group of bumbling thieves from making off with precious valuables. An electricity counter located in the bottom-right corner of the screen constantly counts down. When Chibi is getting low, players will want to recharge. The game features a day and night system, where days last about 10 minutes and nights the same. The environments slightly change depending on the time of day. For instance, a character not available in the day might be sleeping on the couch at night, and robots normally roaming the level in the afternoon might be gone in the evening.
It looks interesting, kinda funny how everytime he moves he makes musical sounds.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It's a platformer with an emphasis on exploring and side quests. Your main objective is, as SegaSonic briefly mentioned, serving the family you were purchased by.
There's never a lack of things to do in Chibi-Robo, whether you're putting your platforming skills to the test by ascending an expertly designed series of shelves and dangling cords, helping dad cook burgers, unlocking secret doors filled with moolah, or merely scribb9ing an oil stain as you run from one room to another. And if you're worried that the game might get dull without any diabolical villains to thwart, you can take out your aggressions on the robotic Spydorz that spawn periodically; their scrapped parts can be recycled into tools to further aid your exploration.
You watch the family live their lives and I assume help them with their problems, tackling such issues as marital woes, environmental destruction, corporate greed, and death. Meanwhile, you obtain Metroid-like powerups to further your exploration of the house and surrounding yard and meet a bunch of bizarre micro world characters. I'm looking at a picture of a wooden pirate, a dehydrated frog, and a demonic pink teddy bear with fangs. They all give me a Dare-to-Dream part 2 vibe. It's definitely a unique game. I don't know if it has an ending, but there are progressive events. I'd like to give it a shot, but I probably won't.

I've heard no mention of a microphone gimmick. That'd be kind of weird considering that it's a Gamecube game.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Image Shack sucks major ass, someone mirror those plz.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Image Shack sucks major ass, someone mirror those plz.
I see, well then I'll give you the source site, the real source has been ordered to remove the pictures by SEGA themselves! :PB:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/board/index ... 137&st=620

They were posted here..I think they work perfectly from there.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I can't exactly place my finger on it...but somehow these screens look like ass.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's because in the year 2006 and the the sixth generation of game consoles, trees still look like cardboard cut-outs.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Wow! youre right! Im gonna have fun tonight!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Why are his shoes reflective? I think the screenshots look pretty good, but graphics aren't really what I'm terribly worried about. Screenshots have always been a shitty way to show off a new game, especially since half of those are shots you would never actually see while playing the game. Like Sonic running toward you, but a little to the left. I do have to agree that tree branches and leaves and what not still look like crap. They just take two lame flat planes and put them perpendicular to each other.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Light Speed wrote:Screenshots have always been a shitty way to show off a new game, especially since half of those are shots you would never actually see while playing the game.
Yeah. Remember how awesome the preliminary scrrenshots for the original Sonic Adventuere were, then the actual game came out with clunky polygons and inconsistent frame rates? Twas a disappointment (though not as bad at it was with most Square games in the PlayStation era).

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The best is the Madden screenshots where they show a running back dive through a defensive line, with the camera positioned underneath the running back or something. When in reality the camera is above the field so you can see the entire field. Who does EA think they are fooling?